South Asian Americans Leading Together (SAALT) is a national, nonpartisan, non-profit organization that fights for racial justice and advocates for the civil rights of all South Asians in the United States. Our ultimate vision is dignity and full inclusion for all.
SAALT fulfills our mission through:
- Advocating for just and equitable public policies at the national and local level;
- Strengthening grassroots South Asian organizations as catalysts for community change;
- Informing and influencing the national dialogue on trends impacting our communities.
SAALT is the only national, staffed South Asian organization that advocates around issues affecting South Asian communities through a social justice framework.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Communications will be responsible for developing and executing the organization’s overall strategic communications strategy spanning traditional and social media. In addition, the Director will be working with the Executive Director and external development consultants to expand, and strengthen, the organization’s resources with a focus on individual donors. It is anticipated that short term the split of responsibilities will be 75% communications and 25% individual donor cultivation.
Communications-related responsibilities include:
- Identifying opportunities to expand SAALT’s communications presence and efforts across core issue areas, South Asian American communities, and regions, including drafting press releases and media advisories; monitoring and expanding its social media presence and strategy;
- Developing proactive relationships with mainstream and ethnic media journalists to amplify SAALT’s work and the priorities of South Asian immigrant communities;
- Working closely with the Executive Director to write and place op-eds that examine pressing issues for South Asian communities;
- Drafting language for emails, newsletters, and other forms of communications to reach SAALT’s diverse audiences.
- Implementing a rapid response plan that balances SAALT’s efforts toward its core policy work with engagement on emerging issues, needs
- Managing SAALT’s website and its content.
- Providing event management support which involves managing all the optics for SAALT related events including vendor relationships as needed (i.e. photographers, videographers, etc.). Examples of events include the SAALT Summit, Lobby Days, Congressional Briefings, etc.
Resource development responsibilities include:
- Strengthening SAALT’s fundraising capacity, with an emphasis on individual donor communications and cultivation;
- Developing and executing a communications strategy focused on current and prospective individual donors;
- Implementing an individual donor fundraising plan including donor research and crafting messages for individual donors; managing solicitation campaigns and events aimed at individuals, and coordinating SAALT’s donor cultivation efforts in close partnership with the Executive Director, external consultants and the SAALT Board of Directors;
- Collaborating with individual donor development consultants around the country;
- Assist Executive Director with other special projects, as necessary.
Ideal Candidate Profile:
- Minimum of five to seven years of experience in communications, marketing, resource development or philanthropy within a social justice organization.
- Excellent writing, analytic, and verbal/presentation skills with the ability to summarize information and connect with a variety of audiences.
- Experience with web site design and content management.
- Experience with various social media platforms including Facebook and Twitter.
- Demonstrated self-starter with ability to identify and pursue strategic opportunities.
- Successful track record of articulating, evaluating, measuring, and reporting goals and successes/areas of improvement.
- Demonstrated ability and experience in being creative and self-directed while managing and prioritizing multiple tasks and roles.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, have a flexible approach to work, and quickly adapt and pivot to changing needs in a dynamic non-profit environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently in a fast paced and collaborative team-based environment.
- Exceptional email management skills and ability to thrive in a high-volume email office.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and ability to quickly learn other basic programs.
- Commitment to and passion for social justice issues and to a career in the non-profit sector.
- Understanding of and commitment to advancing and enhancing SAALT’s mission.
Commitment to an office culture where creativity and diversity are celebrated.
- Sense of humor and familiarity with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) databases such as SALSA are a plus.
- Travel within the United States may be required.
SAALT will provide compensation for this position commensurate with experience. A generous vacation policy and health, dental, vision, and transportation stipend benefits will also be provided.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Interviews will be scheduled with selected candidates on a rolling basis. No phone calls please.