Despite a temporary government shut down, Congress still hasn’t passed legislation to protect 800,000 DREAMers who are at risk of deportation from the only country they’ve ever known. The next vote on their futures is this Thursday, February 8.
The Trump administration has cynically tied any ‘deal’ to protect DREAMers directly with militarizing our southern border, ending the diversity visa lottery, and making massive cuts to family-based immigration. This ‘deal’ is a non-starter.
Rather than passing already-introduced, bipartisan legislation called the DREAM Act [S. 1615/H.R. 3440], which would protect immigrant youth without tearing apart families and building a border wall, Congress keeps introducing new legislation that insists upon including harm in its approach and impact. The latest, the USA Act, provides a pathway to citizenship for millions of people who came to the U.S. before age 18. Yet it also includes harmful provisions to increase deportations and further militarize our borders.
Now is the time to pass the DREAM Act once and for all.
Congress must do its job and protect DREAMers on February 8!
Your voice matters! Here’s what you can do today to force Congress to protect DREAMers:
- Dial 1-888-778-6856 and wait for the “Welcome” message
- Enter your zip code
- Connect to your Member of Congress and force them to protect DREAMers now by passing S. 1615/H.R. 3440!
See below for a sample script!
Hi, my name is ____________ and I live in ___________ (city in district). I’m calling to urge Representative/Senator ____________ to support legislation on February 8 that protects DREAMers without provisions to increase deportations or militarize our borders. DREAMers are not bargaining chips. Over 120 DREAMers lose their DACA status every day and thousands of families will be at risk of being torn apart unless Congress does its job on February 8 to protect DREAMers without harming immigrant communities in the process. The best legislative solution is the existing DREAM Act and I urge you support that bill. Thank you for your time.
Also, today, February 7, join hundreds of progressive allies in Washington D.C. for the National Day of Action to demand a DREAM Act.
DAY OF ACTION DETAILS
It’s time for our leaders to put politics aside and do their jobs and the will of the people. Congress must protect immigrant communities. Make your voice heard. There’s no time to lose.
South Asian Americans Leading Together (SAALT) is a national, nonpartisan, non-profit organization that fights for racial justice and advocates for the civil rights of all South Asians in the United States. Our ultimate vision is dignity and full inclusion for all.
CONTACT: Vivek Trivedi – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Report | Communities on Fire: Confronting Hate Violence and Xenophobic Political Rhetoric
- One Year of the Muslim Ban. One Year of Resistance.
- SAALT Responds to Government Shutdown, Demands DREAM Act
- Stop Ravi’s Deportation – We need your help!
- SAALT Statement on Court Order Blocking DACA Termination
- BLOG: Why You Can’t Be Neutral About Net Neutrality – Civil Rights At Stake
- Last Chance to Force Congress to Vote On and Pass a Clean DREAM Act
- Understanding the Muslim Bans
- SAALT Responds to SCOTUS Decision to Reinstate Muslim Ban