South Asian Americans Leading Together (SAALT) is a national, nonpartisan, non-profit organization that fights for racial justice and advocates for the civil rights of all South Asians in the United States. Our ultimate vision is dignity and full inclusion for all.
SAALT seeks a junior-level policy associate to be based in our Takoma Park, MD office. We seek a passionate Policy Associate with experience and commitment to immigrant and racial justice to assist the Director of National Policy and Advocacy in supporting and advancing the organization’s mission.
The Policy Associate will support the development and implementation of SAALT’s legislative, administrative, and public policy agenda and activities. The Policy Associate will report to and work alongside SAALT’s Director of National Policy and Advocacy. SAALT’s policy priorities include immigrant rights, racial justice, and combating hate violence. We encourage interested applicants to review the National Action Agenda of the National Coalition of South Asian Organizations (NCSO) and SAALT’s policy reports and resources available at www.saalt.org.
Position Title: Policy Associate
Job Status: Full-time position with benefits, including health, dental, vision, and transportation stipend
Date of Posting: September 1, 2017
Location: Takoma Park, MD
Reports To: Director of National Policy and Advocacy
Priority Deadline: October 1, 2017
Start Date: January 15, 2018
- Assist with research and continuously track developments in SAALT’s core policy priorities
- Monitor and analyze relevant legislation and model policies at the federal, state, and local levels
- Help develop materials, fact sheets, reports, and action alerts for community members, NCSO, movement, and coalition partners
- Help draft memos, sign-on letters, and other written products to support organizational advocacy efforts
- Support the policy goals of NCSO member organizations with research assistance
- Support and maintain SAALT’s online database documenting incidents of hate violence, xenophobic political rhetoric, and racial profiling
- Assist with the implementation of SAALT’s core program activities, including but not limited to the biennial National South Asian Summit and the annual We Build Community capacity-building program and Young Leaders Institute
- Assist with coordination and logistics for trainings, webinars, and meetings
- Assist with coordination and logistics for legislative meetings, Congressional briefings, and panel discussions on Capitol Hill
- Participate in regular calls/meetings with NCSO, movement, and coalition partners
- Occasionally contribute to organizational blogs and social media
- Perform other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Experience
- Strong research, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Highly organized, excellent time management skills, and ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks/roles and work
- Exceptional writing skills
- Understanding of and commitment to advancing SAALT’s mission required and deep commitment to social justice issues and values
- Demonstrated ability to adopt a flexible approach to the work and pivot quickly and frequently based on dynamic external factors and shifting internal priorities and developments
- Demonstrated ability to balance and prioritize long-term and rapid-response assignments
- Commitment to excellent work product – experience showing initiative, follow-through, and ability to take on projects successfully from start to finish
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook) and ability to quickly learn other basic programs
- Ability to work in a collaborative team-based environment
- Commitment to a work environment where humor, creativity, and diversity are celebrated
- Non-profit experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent preferred
SAALT will provide compensation for this position commensurate with experience. Excellent health, dental, vision, and transportation benefits are also provided.
How to Apply
Please e-mail your cover letter detailing your relevant experience, resume, and an unedited policy-related writing sample (maximum 5 pages) as a single PDF document to email@example.com and indicate “Policy Associate” in the subject line. We are accepting applications and interviewing candidates on a rolling basis, and will give priority consideration to applications received by October 1, 2017. Only qualified candidates will be contacted. No calls, please.
SAALT is an equal opportunity employer.