Yesterday, in response to the Supreme Court upholding the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program last month, the Trump Administration took expected steps to dismantle the program, releasing a memo that said it would not be accepting new DACA applications, rejecting most advance parole requests, and limiting those with pending renewals to only one year instead of two years.
For the over 5,000 South Asian DACA recipients, and the over 20,000 Indians alone who remain eligible for DACA, this will have a direct impact on any existing renewal applications and for any undocumented South Asian youth who were hoping to apply for DACA.
We knew the Supreme Court victory was temporary, allowing the Administration to retaliate. We must continue pushing back, forging ahead, and ensuring that we fight for policies that support all immigrant communities without harming others.
Here are things you can do right now:
- Join a community call today at 8pmET to discuss what this means
- Contribute to the DACA Renewal fund and to movement organizations who are fighting this every step of the way.
- Email your Senator by clicking this link here and demanding they support the Dream and Promise Act which would ensure permanent protections for undocumented people and commit to STOP funding this Administration’s Deportation Force
- Post on your socials using the TRUMP ENDS DACA TOOLKIT | #HomeIsHere
- Change your Facebook and Twitter profile pics to add the #HomeIsHere filter