SAALT offers multiple opportunities to diverse individuals who bring both commitment and skills to enact social change at a rapid-paced national non-profit.
Check back again soon for opportunities.
Summer 2014 Internships
Policy Intern, Programs Intern, and Administrative & Development Intern
Part-time or Full-time
Priority Deadline: March 14, 2014
Internship Announcement Summer 2014 (PDF)
South Asian Americans Leading Together (SAALT) is a national, nonpartisan, non-profit organization that elevates the voices and perspectives of South Asian individuals and organizations to build a more just and inclusive society in the United States. SAALT is located in Takoma Park, MD (near Washington, DC) and is accessible by the Metro. See our website at www.saalt.org or email us at email@example.com for more information.
SAALT’s internships enable students to promote the civic and political engagement of South Asians in the United States. We encourage applications from undergraduate, graduate, and law students who are self-motivated and committed to working toward social change in your community. The following internships are available for Summer 2014 at SAALT’s office in Takoma Park, MD:
The Policy Intern will support SAALT’s policy advocacy work by:
- Tracking various policy issues – including immigration reform, profiling, post-9/11 backlash, voter suppression and language access, and gender equity
- Researching legal and policy issues to develop community education and advocacy materials
- Assisting with advocacy efforts with Congressional offices and administrative agencies
- Attending Hill briefings and coalition meetings
The Programs Intern will promote the mission of SAALT’s community mobilization, partnerships, and leadership development work by:
- Providing support for program development and implementation, including research and writing
- Supporting program preparation involving conference calls, research, and planning for events around the country
- Assisting in community outreach, recruitment of event co-sponsors, and advertising for community events across the country
Administrative & Development Intern
The Administrative and Development Intern will support the following administrative and operational tasks:
- Organizing materials for board members, sponsors, partners, community members, and other key stakeholders
- Maintaining extensive digital and paper filing system and archives
- Managing phone and email communications for general inquiries and requests for information
- Coordinating SAALT calendars and intra-office communications
- Coordinating office and staff meetings, including scheduling, materials, meeting notes, and other appropriate logistics
- Maintaining the integrity of donor database including, but not limited to, data entry, gifts processing, and donation acknowledgements
- Coordinating mailings for donor communications
- Supporting SAALT events and fundraising activities, including logistical responsibilities
- Performing general administrative duties—such as filing, copying, faxing, mailing, reviewing correspondence, answering phones, maintaining office inventory—and other tasks, as needed
NOTE: All interns will provide additional support as needed.
Summer 2014 interns will be provided a modest stipend. SAALT can work with potential candidates to arrange for class credit. We encourage a commitment of at least 24 hours per week for 10-12 weeks. Part-time and full-time internships are available.
How to Apply
Please e-mail your cover letter demonstrating your qualifications, resume, and 1-3 page unedited writing sample as a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate Policy Internship, Administrative & Development Internship, or Programs Internship in the subject line. Applications will be accepted and interviews conducted on a rolling basis. Priority consideration will be given to applications received by March 14. Only potential candidates will be contacted. No calls, please.
SAALT is an equal opportunity employer.
Check back again soon for opportunities.
Blog for SAALT (ongoing internship)
- Assist with maintaining and updating the SAALT Spot
- Post short daily updates (Daily Buzz) on the SAALT Spot using available resources (Google Reader/alerts) with stories of interest for the South Asian community
- Write longer pieces based on interest/need
- Help moderate comments as necessary
- Previous experiences with blogging and writing on the internet and an understanding of the blogosphere a plus
- Experience with or willingness to learn WordPress blogging format
Interest in/passion for progressive causes
- Ability to post regular Daily Buzz posts every morning
This internship is unpaid and available throughout the year. To apply to be a blog intern, please send a cover letter, resume, and a 1-3 page unedited writing sample as a single PDF file to email@example.com and indicate “Blog internship” in the subject line. Only potential candidates will be contacted. No calls please.