Mission & Strategies
South Asian Americans Leading Together (SAALT) is a national, nonpartisan, non-profit organization that fights for racial justice and advocates for the civil rights of all South Asians in the United States. Our ultimate vision is dignity and full inclusion for all.
We fulfill our mission through:
- Advocating for just and equitable public policies at the national and local level;
- Strengthening grassroots South Asian organizations as catalysts for community change;
- Informing and influencing the national dialogue on trends impacting our communities.
SAALT is the only national, staffed South Asian organization that advocates around issues affecting South Asian communities through a social justice framework.
SAALT’s strategies include conducting public policy analysis and advocacy; building partnerships with South Asian organizations and allies; mobilizing communities to take action; and developing leadership for social change.
Learn about SAALT’s history here.
SAALT’s programs are grounded in our guiding values that stem from a view of the world that is based on social change and social justice principles.
- We use a progressive social justice framework in our analysis
- We apply a movement building, intersectional approach
- We are rooted in community and believe in the value of community power to spur change
- We advocate for structural change while working within existing power systems to make them just and inclusive
- Engage in national level policy advocacy focused on hate violence, immigration, and civil rights and liberties, informed by our work and experience at the community level.
- Build community power by partnering with and strengthening the capacity of NCSO organizations (and candidate organizations for the NCSO) to impact state and local policy.
- Maintain crisis and rapid response capacity where critical gaps exist, and in service of advancing our communities’ priorities.
- Conduct analysis and gather evidence on the challenges and the public policies that affect South Asians.
- Articulate a communications strategy to amplify SAALT’s brand and impact and shift national discourse about our communities.
- Spearhead community and constituency education on priority issues and policies impacting South Asian communities